incubator-general mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [POLICY] Allow extra release distribution channels like the central Maven repository
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 21:53:20 GMT
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 2:10 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
>> <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>>> Just so everyone understands this in context, the objection above is
>>> moot
>>> because...
>>
>> No, it's not.  Anything that creates an impetus for a podling to get
>> out of the Incubator is goodness.  Too many podlings view the
>> Incubator as a comfy place - I believe that the Incubator PMC needs to
>> create more of a reason for projects to get in gear and graduate.
>> This isn't college - you don't get to stay here for the best seven
>> years of your life.  =)
>>
>> I would almost say we should revisit the entire policy of letting a
>> podling release at all, but yah, I'm not really caring to reopen
>> *that* can of worms.  -- justin
>
> EXACTLY.  I'm reading about 1/2 the -1 votes against Maven-releases as
> against *releases*.  Which is absurd.  The current situation of .jar
> distribution from people.apache.org is crap, you know it, and maven is
> the appropriate solution.
The problem with a release injected in maven is that it will be there
forever. If a release has some problems (IP issues, etc), you can't
remove it from maven, as some projects might depend on it, and the users
will immediately carpet bomb the maven ML to get the release back into
the repo. Sounds like a possible scenario, no ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org