incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] apache-empire-db-2.0.3-incubating and apache-empire-struts2-ext-1.0.3-incubating release
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 21:33:16 GMT
Thomas Fischer wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, Rainer D´┐Żbele wrote:
>
>> Since we built the 2.0.3 / 1.0.3 release we have made some improvemets
>> and bugfixes. I suggest skipping these releases and continuing with
>> the 2.0.4 and 1.0.4 release.
>
> Hm, the 2.0.3 release is not released yet. You can still call the new
> release 2.0.3. However, to avoid naming confusion, I'd suggest to call a
> release candidate e.g. RC1 in the future, and rename it when the voting
> is through (in the docs etc the "final" name can be used, but in the
> release file names the rc part should be in. So you can just rename the
> files and copy the tag once the voting is done.)

ASF policy is that version numbers are cheap.  If something has been
circulated in development distribution points (e.g. "find the release
candidate _here_") or was tagged (for more than a few minutes), then
incrementing the subversion and marking the original as "unreleased"
is so much cleaner.  If someone submits a 2.0.4 bug, you know it is
the one and only 2.0.4 release, as opposed to someone complaining about
2.0.3 (the candidate? the release?)