incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [POLICY] Allow extra release distribution channels like the central Maven repository
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 21:10:29 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Craig L Russell wrote:
>>> -1
>>>
>>> I believe that allowing incubating releases to be treated as full Apache
>>> releases diminishes the Apache brand and makes incubation disclaimers moot.
>>>
>>> With Maven, it is too easy to depend on a release with transitive
>>> dependencies on incubating releases without even knowing it. When the
>>> incubating release subsequently is abandoned, blame will be cast widely,
>>> including Apache itself.
>>>
>>> Considering that dependencies on incubating releases can be resolved by
>>> explicitly adding an incubating Maven repository into your settings, I don't
>>> think that wide, mirrored, distribution is warranted.
>>>
>>> Craig
>> -1 too, for the same reasons.
>
> -1.  Craig pointed out my objections as well.  -- justin

Just so everyone understands this in context, the objection above is moot
because...

...maven is a package deployment mechanism

...developers who determine what to bundle into their package don't spend
    a whole lot of time explaining to users that something within their
    package is 'incubating' code, or 'patched/forked' code, or virgin
    original code

...the developer who deploys an app is either going to explain it contains
    an incubating artifact to their users, or they won't

...no matter if the developer bundles an incubating jar, or calls it up
    out of maven...

The user has ***exactly*** the same experience.

Presenting a user with a dialog "Package FOO requires the BAR.jar, an
Apache Incubating Bar Project artifact, which[1] carries 'the'[2]
disclaimer" will leave them utterly befuddled and is entirely worthless
information in the context that they install package FOO (nevermind that
the "actual" disclaimer appears to be non-existent in our release
documentation).

We permit GPL, commercial, virtual anything to be deposited into Maven
if I understand correctly.  WTF not incubation artifacts, in that light?

Bill

[1] alternately... "is a tasty beverage container"
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#notes-disclaimer