incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Labs project promotion
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2008 09:25:38 GMT
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

> I seek your feedback regarding a discussion that we currently have on
> the labs ml [2]. I am the PI of the labs project droids and I like to
> move out of the labs and create a ASF subproject (either HC or Lucene,
> still to define).
>
> The labs bylaws [1] state:
> "...
> Lab Lifecycle
> Promoted
> Lab started incubation. When a lab is promoted, the files are moved over
> to the incubation area."

In order to move, the project needs to be voted in directly by incubator,
or otherwise may be voted in by the target top level project as either
a sponsored incubator project, or directly as a subproject (bypassing
the incubator).

It seems HC or Lucene are the folks to ask.  If they want to handle all
of the responsibility of this new subproject straight-off, then there's
really no need for incubation.  But Incubator can take the burden off of
the project to manage, so they might prefer it undergoes this process.

Because it was 'developed here' you simply need to check off the IP
clearance process is done (essentially, I trust there are zero issues
to actually review).