incubator-general mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE]apache-empire-db-2.0.4-incubatingandapache-empire-struts2-ext-1.0.4-incubatingrelease
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2008 12:54:41 GMT
On 22/09/2008, Thomas Fischer <tfischer@apache.org> wrote:

> > >  I'd reckon that we all now agree that the tomcat jars can be included.
> > >

> > Assuming that they have not included the jars incorrectly.
> >

>  I will check that the jars in question are those released by tomcat.
>

> > Perhaps it would be better to double-check with legal?
> >

>  If the jars are ASL licensed, I do not see the need. Correct me if I'm
> wrong.

What I meant was - just because the jars are part of another Apache
product does not necessarily mean that they are ASL licensed. One
would hope that they are, but given some of the other postings in this
thread I though it would be prudent to double-check this.

I just checked the jsp-api and servlet-api jars from Tomcat 5.5.27 and
6.0.18; unfortunately the jars themselves do not contain NOTICE or
LICENSE files, and the jar manifests are no help either - it's not
clear where the jars originated.

However, looking at the source archives for Tomcat, one can see that
the sources for the two jars are present, so it looks like the jars
are indeed created from Tomcat sources, not copies of the Sun jars. I
looked a a few of the source files, and these have standard AL2.0
headers. So it looks OK to use the jars from Tomcat, as they don't
appear to be the Sun jars.

It's a pity that the Tomcat jars don't contain proper manifests + N &
L files; I'll see about raising that with the Tomcat developers.