incubator-general mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] apache-empire-db-2.0.3-incubating and apache-empire-struts2-ext-1.0.3-incubating release
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 21:20:05 GMT

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, Rainer Döbele wrote:

> As far as I understand it, there are two major problems with the empire-struts2-ext-1.0.3
release:

> 1. the missing freemarker info in the NOTICE file (we'll add HSQLDB as well)
>
> 2. the inclusion of servlet-api.jar and jsp-api.jar.

Plus the status page (about which you cannot do anything, but as I
understand it, it is a requirement that it is up to date when a release is
done). Maybe I can spare some time tomorrow evening to update it.

> We can leave the servlet-api.jar and jsp-api.jar out of the distribution
> but only for the price that it won't compile off the shelf, and this
> will make it more difficult for beginners to run the sample. Does anyone
> have a suggestion how to deal with that (given that we use maven only
> for a forthcoming release)?

I am no ant expert, but there seems to be a tool named ivy which can pull
it from the maven replository.

> Since all issues concern the empire-struts2-ext-1.0.3 distribution, does
> this mean that the -1 is for this part only? And would you give a +1 for
> the empire-db-2.0.3 release? (Just want to make sure, we're on the right
> track).

As soon as the status page is up to date, I'd give a +1 to the db 2.0.3
release; if you think it makes sense to release it without the struts
extension.

> Since we built the 2.0.3 / 1.0.3 release we have made some improvemets
> and bugfixes. I suggest skipping these releases and continuing with the
> 2.0.4 and 1.0.4 release.

Hm, the 2.0.3 release is not released yet. You can still call the new
release 2.0.3. However, to avoid naming confusion, I'd suggest to call a
release candidate e.g. RC1 in the future, and rename it when the voting is
through (in the docs etc the "final" name can be used, but in the release
file names the rc part should be in. So you can just rename the files and
copy the tag once the voting is done.)

But calling the new release candidate 1.0.4 and 2.0.4 is also fine with
me.

    Regards,

          Thomas