incubator-general mailing list archives

From Thomas Fischer <tfisc...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [VOTE] apache-empire-db-2.0.3-incubating and apache-empire-struts2-ext-1.0.3-incubating release
Date Sat, 06 Sep 2008 13:34:42 GMT
I checked the Release candidate against the incubator release check list
[1] and found the following:

- All Files unpack correctly.

- The code builds from source.

- the status page is not up to date.

- All files have a valid md5 sum, sha hash and are signed properly.
However, the format of the md5 and sha sum files is not linux standard,
making automatic checks more difficult. I am not sure whether that causes
mirroring problems.

- There is not yet a KEYS file.

- The NOTICE and various LICENSE files are ok, except the following:
-- The asf part is not the first part of the /NOTICE file in the db and
the struts2 extension. See [2]
-- freemarker is not in the /NOTICE file of the struts2 extension.
However, the freemarker License requires it. The appropriate passage from
the Freemarker license needs to be copied into the NOTICE file.
-- The HSQLDB library is not mentioned in the /NOTICE file of the db part.
Ihe HSQL License does not require it, but I'd add it anyway.

- The Servlet API and JSP API are contained in the struts 2 extension
distribution. The Source code is not included; neither there is a
prominent notice to where it can be obtained. This is against the CDDL
License [3] and apache licensing policy [4].

- The README Files are ok except the following:
-- The README File of the struts2 extension is misleading. It is said
there that "This Extension works with the Sysdeo-DevLoader". I'd hope it
works in a standalone servlet container as well ?
-- The README should contain information how the code can be built from
source. In the db part it should say where the build.xml is located; in
the struts2 extension this part misses.

- The documentation of the struts2 extension is a bit sparse. It contains
javadocs and a small Readme. Perhaps the documentation from the web site
can be included ?

- There is a file apache-empire-struts2-ext-1.0.3-incubating.tar.gzmd5,
which content does not fit its name. Probably it is there by error.

- The example applications contain all the libraries in the /lib directory
again. For bandwith reasons, it would be better to supply an ant script
which compiles and packages the examples by using the /lib files.

- The RAT reports look good.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
[2] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
[3] http://www.sun.com/cddl/cddl.html
[4] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

Regarding the license issues, I regret that I am forced to vote -1 on this
Release Candidate. I am sorry that I could not check the RC while the
vote was on the dev list, but I had a lot of work to do this week.

     Regards,

       Thomas

P.S. Who is responsible for updating the status page ? Should that be
done by the mentor, or can I as IPMC member also do that ?