incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Project Diversity Guidelines
Date Sun, 28 Sep 2008 04:28:32 GMT
Hi Niclas,

On Sep 23, 2008, at 8:28 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> As for more documentation; I am -0 on that, but I guess Craig and
> Martijn
> will probably jump at the opportunity ;o)

Well, thanks but no thanks. ;-)

My views are similar to yours. Diversity is a subjective thing, and
every member of the incubator PMC probably has a different point of
view. That's both good and bad, for good and bad reasons.

> Documents are hard to write and
> even harder to keep up-to-date.

+1

The thing that I would focus on is whether the project would survive
if one or more of the participating entities in the project were to
pull the plug, i.e. stop funding the developers. Having diversity,
meaning independent committers, means that the project is more likely
to survive the loss.

I think that Marnie brought up many good examples of evidence of
participation, including participation in writing features, submitting
bug reports, submitting patches, writing documentation, discussing and
voting on potential new committers, voting on releases, discussing new
features and bug reports. Given a list of participants, evaluating the
diversity of these active participants is necessarily subjective.

One thing that would help, especially in the case of qpid, is to
document whether the committers feel that they are independent. That
is, whether they would continue to contribute to the project on their
own time even if their employer reassigned them to a different project.

Craig

> Cheers
> Niclas

Craig L Russell