incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: status of PGP support in Maven
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:22:23 GMT

On Sep 17, 2008, at 5:32 PM, Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:

> The only way around that I can see right away in a heavily mirrored
> system, is to pull the signatures (and probably even the checksums)
> from
> central all the time. Which represents a single point of failure and a
> non-scaling element.

I do understand the single point of failure, which means that if
Apache central happens to be down, users cannot get to the signatures.

But I don't see the scaling problem. I understand that to download an
artifact that's more than 200 bytes, you really need mirrors to
relieve the burden on Apache central. But I'd guess that our central
server could handle a few hundred (thousand?) xxx.asc file downloads
per minute, far in excess of the load.

To me, the only place to store .asc files for all artifacts is in
central. Not maven central, and not mirrors.

Craig

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!