incubator-general mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: Incubator dependencies in Apache projects
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2008 20:54:41 GMT
On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 22:40 +0200, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's another angle to the incubating release issue. We already
> discussed this lately in relation to Apache FtpServer and the
> JSecurity podling, see http://markmail.org/message/g23r7rvwvbzbn47z.
> Some of the comments I found troubling were "You will probably not
> release this code to an unsuspecting public anyway, will you?" and
> "the actual bottom line is that if the MINA project wants to release
> JSecurity as an *internal* dependency, that is the MINA project's
> "problem" to support." Another troubling thing is that the question
> even needed to be asked.
>
> IMHO the only guidance that we give other projects about incubating
> dependencies should be included in the required disclaimers and the
> fact that we approve a release in the first place. After that it's up
> to the other project to review and decide whether they want the
> dependency or not.

Exactly. I was writing something much the same. We could even require
TLP projects that have incubating dependencies to include a statement in
their releases to that effect: "Should any of our incubating
dependencies fail incubation, we (the TLP) will take responsibility for
that code so as to continue supporting our users."

Regards, Upayavira