incubator-general mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: On incubating releases
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2008 13:05:43 GMT
On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 14:41 +0200, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Branching off from the release distribution vote.
>
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This vote has made it quite clear that we have a much deeper
> > disagreement over the status of incubating releases, and that we
> > really should reach some consensus on that before nailing down
> > decisions on release distribution.
>
> AFAUI there are three positions that people are advocating:
>
>     a) Releases with no other strings than the ALv2 attached
>     b) Releases with requirements to notify downstream users
>     c) No releases
>
> Personally I think that position b conflicts with both the letter and
> the spirit of ALv2, and that position c is damaging to incubating
> projects. Also, if a was not an option, I'd rather opt for c than b as
> I think c is at least a logically consistent position.

I think there's more to it that that. We need to consider the two
aspects of what Apache stands for: open source and open development.

When a release is done in the incubator, we could say that it has met
our criteria for open source (legal bits all in order) but not for open
development (community not yet sufficient for sustainability).

Then, we have two groups of people who relate to releases - developers
and users. Clearly, questions have been raised about how these two
groups of users should relate to, and what they should expect of, an
incubator release - that is one for which the ASF is not yet prepared to
vouch for the community behind it.

So, we end up with two sets of questions:

 * Do we want users to have easy access to these releases, or to make
   it difficult? Users need to know about the fact that Apache does not
   yet vouch for the community behind these releases. How do we go
   about ensuring that they do know and understand?
 * How do we encourage developers and their communities to move as
   quickly as possible towards graduation without placing unnecessary
   and even arbitrary restrictions around them?

These really the principles that need to be addressed before we can go
on to discuss the details of how we intend to treat a release.

Upayavira