incubator-general mailing list archives

From Henning Schmiedehausen <henn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] apache-empire-db-2.0.4-incubating andapache-empire-struts2-ext-1.0.4-incubating release
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2008 00:18:05 GMT

On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 10:31 +0200, Rainer Döbele wrote:
> Hi Henning,
>
> thanks for your vote.
> Here are a few answers to your comments:
>
> Testing is currently performed by running the two example applications provided with
the distribution, which contain various tasks. Each of them is run once for each supported
database, and the logs are checked. This has to be further automated of course with proper
unit tests.

> We deliberately desinged the build.xml supplied with the distribution that it will build
a jar without a version number, assuming that people will build the jar only if they have
made changes to the code (why would anyone just build it?). And if they have made changes
then the version number is undefined. IMO only the official build should contain the version
number. Disagree?

You are distributing source code. If someone builds a modified jar and
does not change the version fields etc., that is their problem. You are
the ones who control official releases and distributions. Don't
over-engineer.

Your usual consumer will not bother downloading the source code and
modifying it. They will get a binary distribution and put it into their
projects. So you should make the build process as convenient for you as
possible. It should be redo-able (like I tried when building empire-db
for testing) but it does not need to cater to all possible scenarios.

> With the struts-extentions we're in a dilemma. It won't build without servlet-api.jar
and jsp-api.jar. There is an info file that informs the user about the requirement for these
two jars.
> Does anyone have an idea how to deal with this except using maven? Can we expect all
users to use maven for building the project and the examples?

If you use ant, you can use the <get> task to pull them from a
repository. You can use ivy together with ant. You could use a maven
based build. Or you can bundle them with your source code; there are
distributable versions of the APIs.

> I very much appreciate if the other voters would not reject or abstain from voting the
struts-extentions just for the build problem concering the servlet-api.jar and jsp-api.jar.
We have discussed this issue with the previous release candidate and there were no objections
on the way we solved this now (i.e. providing an information file). I have already asked for
alternatives but no one suggested a different solution.

When I need some build code for Java, I usually take inspiration and
code from other Apache projects. We have a lot of Java projects and all
have build code. :-)

	Ciao
		Henning