incubator-general mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: Depending on incubating project
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2008 22:22:50 GMT
On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 23:07 +0300, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Niklas Gustavsson <niklas@protocol7.com> wrote:
> > They can be kept in a Maven repo, not just central. Thus, should we
> > want to take the route of using JSecurity we would have to add the
> > incubating repo in our POM.
>
> As far as I correctly understand the concerns about the central Maven
> repository, the point is to avoid incubating dependencies to be
> downloaded automatically without some explicit user action.
>
> So instead of adding the incubating repository in your POM, you should
> instruct your users (or downstream developers) to manually add the
> repository to their local Maven settings.
>
> I believe the same applies also to non-Maven projects where for
> example the dependencies are kept in a lib directory in svn. In such
> cases the user should be instructed to manually download the
> incubating dependency and place it in the correct location.

As has been said in this thread already, so long as all IP concerns have
been addressed and thus the podling is able to make releases, it is up
to the PMC to decide whether to use an incubator artifact. If the
podling should fail, the PMC then has the responsibility for supporting
that artifact to its consumers. If the PMC is okay with that, then go
ahead, use it like any normal resource.

Upayavira