incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IP Clearance form re INCUBATOR-77
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2008 06:59:22 GMT
On 8/25/08, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to resolve INCUBATOR-77 and I feel stuck on the wording in
> the clearance template:
> "Check and make sure that for all items included with the
>                    distribution that is not under the Apache license,
> we have
>                    the right to combine with Apache-licensed code and
>                    redistribute."
> and
> "Check and make sure that all items depended upon by the
>                    project is covered by one or more of the following
> approved
>                    licenses: Apache, BSD, Artistic, MIT/X, MIT/W3C,
> MPL 1.1, or
>                    something with essentially the same terms."

The template's a guide rather than a normative document. The licenses
need to be audited and checked against current Apache policy (rather
than the examplars given).

> Per the issue mentioned, there is an LGPL dependency right now that is
> going to be resolved.  Thus, I am not sure what to do.  Can we fill
> out this and proceed w/ the checking in the code, knowing that we
> can't release it until this is resolved or can I truly not finish
> filling out the IP clearance
> (https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/ip-clearance/local-lucene-solr.xml
> ) until it is resolved?  Part of me thinks, that if we commit, but not
> release, that we will get some user volunteers to take up the issue of
> replacing the problematic code.  My understanding of the ASF (and
> based on Doug C.'s comment) is that we could commit as long as we
> don't release, but the clearance template seems to put up a gate that
> isn't neccessarily there

IMHO the template is wrong and conflates concerns which are better
separated. Separation into a guide and a simple form would be much
better.

Robert