incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Web20Kit: A Web 2.0 technology evaluation kit
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2008 16:07:58 GMT
Hi Martin,

On Aug 26, 2008, at 7:51 PM, Martin Cooper wrote:

> Yeah, an association with WebKit was my first assumption as well.

Agreed. New name.initiate().run().

> My greater concern, though, is purporting to compare technologies
> using one
> application with a very specific purpose. Certain technologies may
> shine in
> one application scenario and suck in others, while other
> technologies may
> show quite the opposite characteristics. Picking one application
> with which
> to demonstrate and, especially, compare a set of technologies
> doesn't tell a
> particularly useful story unless you happen to be building just that
> type of
> application. Sadly, many people don't take that into account, so
> that a
> technology demonstration such as this may lead them in non-optimal
> directions.

There are at least two different objectives for the project. First is
to show how to build applications in different frameworks that would
give an idea of how the pieces are put together using the different
frameworks. Second is how the implementations actually work under load.

What we would like to do here is to put an application together that
has a number of web 2.0 features and then mix and match the presented
load based on users' configurations. So rather than a fixed set of
operations that yields a single number result, varying the load would
allow you to compare operations that better match your application.

> Incidentally, there also appear to be assumptions about the
> architecture.
> For example, it looks like the use of a database is assumed, whereas
> in
> certain applications, a content repository might be more appropriate.
> Similarly, the use of a server-side web framework versus directly
> calling
> web services. There are many, many more options to consider.

These are excellent points where it would make sense to add a
replacement point for technology. With some skilled architects on the
project, defining the replacement points (architected interfaces)
would be a strong plus.

Craig

> --
> Martin Cooper
>

> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 7:13 PM, Brett Porter
> <brett.porter@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Without too much thought into the rest of it just now, the first
>> thing
>> I thought was that this would have something to do with WebKit, which
>> it doesn't and would probably be very confusing?
>>
>> - Brett
>>
>> 2008/8/27 Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com>:
>>> This is a proposal to incubate
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/Web20KitProposal
>>>
>>> We're looking for a couple more mentors.
>>>
>>> Web20Kit
>>>
>>> Abstract
>>> Web20Kit is a web 2.0 toolkit to help developers evaluate the
>> suitability,
>>> functionality and performance of various web technologies by
>>> implementing
>>> reasonably complex application in several different technologies.
>>>
>>> Proposal
>>> Web20Kit will develop an example application to understand the
>>> benefits,
>>> performance, and scalability of popular web technologies. Multiple
>>> implementations of the application are planned - each providing
>>> the same
>>> functionality but staying true to the philosophy of its base
>>> language/framework.
>>>
>>> Background
>>> Most web 2.0 sites today use open source languages and frameworks
>>> such as
>>> PHP, Ruby on Rails, and Java EE to develop their applications.
>> Deployments
>>> of these applications also use popular open source servers such as
>>> Apache
>>> httpd, Tomcat, MySQL, Memcache, and Glassfish. Many other
>>> servers/technologies such as lighttpd, mogileFS, mongrels, JRuby
>>> are also
>>> gaining popularity.
>>>
>>> With the myriad technologies available, it is not easy to
>>> understand how
>>> they differ, especially in terms of performance and scalability.
>>> With
>> varied
>>> levels of documentation available for some open source
>>> applications, it
>> is
>>> also quite difficult for a web 2.0 startup to understand the correct
>> usage
>>> of these technologies so that they don't become a bottleneck as
>>> their
>> site
>>> grows.
>>>
>>> Rationale
>>> Web2.0kit is a toolkit that will attempt to address the above

>>> web20kit-commits@incubator.apache.org

>>> shanti.subramanyam@sun.com> Binu John <
>>> binu.john@sun.com> Kim Lichong <
>>> kim.lichong@sun.com> William Sobel <