incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Santiago Gala" <>
Subject Re: aesthetic changes to the NOTICE file
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:51:20 GMT
On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 5:11 PM, Noah Slater <> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 03:59:43PM +0100, ant elder wrote:
>> I'd be wary of doing that if i was you. Whether or not it means the same
>> thing legally this is clearly specified in ASF policy at
>> and if you change from
>> that you may find some other stickler delaying or blocking one of you
>> release votes due to any differences.
> Gah, well I thought as much. IANAL but it looks okay to me. :)

You might ask to the legal team, as I'm not sure of the rationale of
the sentence that you missed in the NOTICE file and how much
"required" it is. The part of src-headers we are referring to was
committed by Cliff Schmith, then Legal VP, on Jul 17, 2006, r422600
and this part of it has never been changed since then.

In my opinion, stating that the product includes software developed at
the ASF is probably redundant, given the LICENSE file that governs the
collective work. I guess it is there so that the remaining "portions"
make sense together with a given "whole".

In any case, as it is current policy, it should be followed, and
changes to it discussed in legal-discuss.