incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Poloka
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2008 16:25:09 GMT
Hello Serge,

thanks for the detailed reply.

> We have started a discussion with Davanum Shrinivas from the Apache WS
> community. [...] I have posted the proposal in the Savan list as well.

Good. If discussion there moves forward, you could occasionally
send a summary here for those that don't follow that list.

> Yeh, "Mentor" section of the proposal should be renamed. [...]
> Would renaming this section to "Domain Experts" make sense to you?

Yes, that's good.

> Regarding the GPL code. Our intent is to remove all GPL dependency from
> the code prior to the initial relaease.

That's good enough. I was just curious whether you really have
a hard dependency at all, or whether it is just indirectly
through a standard Java API.

> I agree that University Research Community and Open Source Community not
> the same, but they are similar in some respect. [...] we do not know
> exactly how it is going to work in this enviroment, but we are willing
> to give it a try by relasing our stuff in the open. We are interested in
> making it work. Resesach progress could go so much faster if it would
> really happen. We have good indicatation from our peers so far.We have a
> long list of researchers that indicated that they would like to see this
> stuff in the open and contribute to it.

Excellent.

> So far PADRES code base has been developed through constant interaction
> and continous integration. The codebase is open to everybody in the
> project and eveyone can poetentially make changes to everybody else's
> code. In fact this is happening a lot when a student is preparing to
> graduate or past graduation. We expect that there will be more of that
> once the project is open sourced. The students would charge ahaed
> working on their ideas. This code will be visible to the community and
> anybody would have ability to contribute to that direciton if it makes
> sense to them. Isn't it how Apache project operate?

You should be aware that you will not be able to just give
students access to the Apache repository. They will have to
contribute in the form of patches, which need to be reviewed
and committed by others, until they have earned enough merit
to be voted in as committers. I suspect that currently
students will be given access to your repository as soon as
they start working on the project. The continuous integration
and "access to everything" policy work well with Open Source.

> The time span a thesis development is 2-3 years.

That's good, and different from what I was used to.
While studies would span several years, the work on
the actual diploma thesis itself was typically done
in about 6 months. Of course students could engage
at an institute with a long-running project and work
on that in different settings for a longer time, but
that wasn't a requirement.

> Prof. Arno Jacobsen is conducting regular code reviews and is involved
> in architecture, design, troubleshooting, evaluations, and experiments.
> You are right, he is expected to commit more on the documentation side
> than on the code base.

OK, thanks for clarifying.

cheers,
   Roland