incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Add voting guide to incubator docs?
Date Sun, 31 Aug 2008 22:13:43 GMT
While the subject document is being prepared, I've update the guides/
ppmc.html to add some text with the rationale of the PPMC/PMC voting
process.

The small, easy to overlook, sentence is now two paragraphs.

<guide>
Voting a new committer is one of the most important functions of any
PMC, and the Incubator is no different. Only votes of Incubator PMC
members are binding (counted) when considering a new committer. But
the members of the PPMC, with direct oversight over the podling, are
best able to judge the qualifications and suitability of a proposed
new committer. Therefore, the process for voting a new committer into
an Incubator podling is a bit more complex than voting a new committer
into a Top Level Project.

The role of the PPMC in this process is recommendation to the
Incubator PMC that one of the contributors to the podling is worthy of
committership. The recommendation should reflect consensus of the
PPMC. When it comes to voting, an affirmative vote of at least three
Incubator PMC members is needed. Since the PPMC often contains only
three Incubator PMC members (the podling's Mentors), the challenge for
a PPMC to vote a new committer is to obtain three or more Incubator
PMC members' votes. If all of the Mentors vote in favor of the new
committer, the required number of votes is obtained, and the vote is
submitted to the Incubator PMC for approval by acclamation (silent
approval, or lazy consensus). But if during private voting in the
PPMC, fewer than three Incubator PMC members vote, the conclusion of
the PPMC vote can only be considered a recommendation, and the vote
must be put to the Incubator PMC.

</guide>

Let me know what you think. Or better, CTR the document yourself. ;-)

Craig