incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Installers for couchdb
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2008 19:48:32 GMT
On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 8:25 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 05:21:24PM +0000, Santiago Gala wrote:
>> spidermonkey is the only component that has a more restrictive license, and
>> the third party licensing policy document lists MPL in the B category. So I
>> think we can choose MPL and distribute it in binary form, etc.
>
> My understanding from Debian legal is that multi-licenced work's can't be
> redistributed with a single licence from the selection, you must redistribute
> with all the original licences.

AIUI the story is a little more complex than this, though it is a
useful ethical and practical guide.

AIUI the creative act of editing and selection entitles an editor to
claim copyright for the collective work. (so called collective
copyright.) PMCs (on behalf of apache) edit, collect and select a
particular version of the works that are aggregated into a release.
the copyright and license claim apache makes for releases is
collective copyright for the aggregated collection.

apache does not ask for copyright assignments. therefore each
component work has it's own copyright and license. most component
works are licensed to apache under CLAs, software grants and CCLAs.
other works (aka third party ones) are included without explicit
permission of their owners relying on public licenses issued by the
copyright owner or owners. it is often possible to sublicense open
source licenses. for example, if particular source changes cannot be
fed back upstream and the original work is under a suitable license,
the derived work may be relicensed under the apache license.

- robert