incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: SVN move
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2008 14:54:23 GMT

On Jul 26, 2008, at 10:55 AM, Roland Weber wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> see my 0.02€ below...
>
> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> +1, except for the minimal restrictions stated in the AL 2.0.

> The last sentence confused me a bit. Whether or not a code branch
> is maintained in the Apache repo does not depend on where exactly
> releases are published. Non-Apache releases are not published from
> Apache servers. Code can be maintained in the Apache repo without
> being Apache-released: sandboxes, experimental branches,...

I think people are missing the point that I am trying to make and
where Craig and I have different opinions.

I fully understand and support projects that are moving to the
incubator to support old versions for their community.

Where I think that there is a problem is when they ditch their old
infrastructure and exclusively use ASF's infrastructure to build,
maintain, and release non-ASF releases.  To be sure in the case of
JSecurity the final artifacts will not use the ASF mirrors but that
does not  hide the fact that they intend to build and maintain non-ASF
releases exclusively using our infrastructure.

Craig says that's fine.

I think that they should release and maintain their new and earlier
non-ASF releases on the infrastructure that they currently have or
else use ours and follow the ASF/Incubator guidelines.

Regards,
Alan