incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Do we really need an incubator?
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2008 13:31:18 GMT

On Jul 7, 2008, at 11:06 PM, Daniel Kulp wrote:

>> Again, Are u stating that removing this restriction would have
>> reduced
>> the time taken to graduate from 2 years to 1 year?
>
> We'll never know.  It certainly affected some of the features we
> concentrated on and thus may or may not have affected who we could
> have attracted as committers.   It would all be conjecture.   I know
> it DID prevent people migrating from xfire (see above) so I know our
> user base was lower than it could have been.

But we could also say the fact that "CXF is in the Incubator" also
prevented people from migrating, or discouraged attracting
committers...

IMO, the Incubator is a place to build community and vet code.
It should be a place which *encourages* podlings to work
towards graduation. Instead, it appears to be more and more
moving to a place where codebases and projects can happily
live for awhile. Other than removing the '-incubating' tag,
what incentive is there for graduation?