incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Tashi
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2008 03:39:56 GMT

On 23-Jul-08, at 6:12 PM, Niall Pemberton wrote:

> I really don't see what the problem is here, there are two named
> committers in the proposal. Whatever the interests of the companies
> they work for, Tashi will have to create a healthy community to
> graduate and I don't think corporate backing should be used as a
> reason to deny entry in the first place. Also its a *good thing* IMO
> that the proposal is open about the three companies that are prepared
> to fund work and I would hate to see that rewarded with a -1, since it
> may prompt others to be less open in the future.

Right on. Why does it matter if it's committed individuals or
committed organizations? It will always be a mixture, and that's a
good thing. It's fallacy to think that every project can be the ideal
of a diverse set of committed individuals who will remain eternally
devoted to a project. Maybe that happens sometimes, but organizations
can also help make sustainable technologies as well, and is more
likely to be the case these days for better or worse. At least they
are honest, and that matters more then anything I think.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven