incubator-general mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Do we really need an incubator?
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2008 21:49:08 GMT

On Jul 7, 2008, at 5:09 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Sorry...Need to take this off my chest before the official VOTE.
>
> Looking at the maven repo thread, begs the question. Do we really need
> an incubator?
>
> Isn't it just a IP Clearance SVN now once people have their way with
> no distinction at all between incubator and non-incubator code?
>
> What incentives are there left to graduate? How come a little bit of
> pain that makes something obvious to end users is such a no-no? Why is
> it such a big deal to remove one tiny pebble in their path? A lot of
> folks have made it thru...including CXF. gathering users on the merits
> of their code/community. It's not like the pebble stopped users from
> trying things out. So what's the big deal?

Honestly, I think CXF would have graduated significantly sooner if the
central maven repo was used.   We specifically did not do a lot of
"maven" things (like creating archtypes and such) due to the extra
difficulty in using those things.   We don't yet use maven for any of
the samples/demos, etc....    It IS a major barrier for a lot people
so we didn't concentrate on it.   Had the code gone to central, we
could have worked on that as well which would have opened up new
opportunities for "mavenites" to get involved.

So, my question is, if Apache is about "Community over code", why are
we putting up barriers to getting the code if that is also creating
barriers to building the community?   If the code is a proper release
(legally OK, etc...), making it hard to use/get hinders the building
of the community.   Do we like projects taking 2 years to graduate or
would we prefer that time to be shorter?

So, to answer your question:  yes, I think the incubator is
important.   It does legal vetting, but it also makes sure the
communities are acting proper, learning apache ways, etc....   But the
incubator should HELP the communities grow, not hinder it.

Dan

> My 2 cents,
>
> Thanks,
> dims