incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: SVN move
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2008 17:49:23 GMT

On Jul 28, 2008, at 10:37 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:

>>> If it turns out that it is *not* OK to do this (use ASF
>>> infrastructure
>>> exclusively to maintain our few remaining non-ASF releases), I'm
>>> perfectly
>>> ok with that and of course would respect the Incubator's wishes -
>>> but I
>>> myself would ask our current JSecurity team to delay the code
>>> import into
>>> the ASF.
>>>
>>> I don't think I would be willing to perform code modifications and
>>> patches
>>> for the next Release Candidate release(s) and maybe the few point
>>> releases
>>> that might follow on two different repositories.  That's a
>>> nightmare to
>>> maintain - "Did I apply this patch to project-from-server-A and
>>> project-from-server-B?  Hrm.. I can't remember if I JavaDoc'd that
>>> method
>>> correctly in both locations...".  No thanks :)
>>>
>>> Sure, this might delay our incubation process another few weeks or
>>> even a
>>> month or two, but I don't mind that at all - I feel comfortable that
>>> JSecurity will succeed at the ASF, so I don't feel a little extra
>>> delay
>>> would hurt things for us much...  This is much less painful IMO than
>>> manually mantaining code in two separate locations.
>>
>> Let's turn this around and look at it from a different light.
>> What's stopping us from doing a 0.9.0 release in the incubator?
>> I'm guessing that you need the packages to be the same?
>
> I don't quite follow what you are proposing. Can you elaborate the
> details, please?

The 0.9.0 release gets done following ASF/Incubator procedures which
includes, changing package names to org.apache.jsecurity, making sure
it passes RAT, the PPMC must vote and it passes with at least 3
binding votes, etc.

Regards,
Alan