incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Brett Porter" <brett.por...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Do we really need an incubator?
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2008 15:41:45 GMT
2008/7/11 Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com>:
> But we could also say the fact that "CXF is in the Incubator" also
> prevented people from migrating, or discouraged attracting
> committers...

I've heard that stated before and I think it's something the podlings
should be keeping in mind.

> IMO, the Incubator is a place to build community and vet code.
> It should be a place which *encourages* podlings to work
> towards graduation. Instead, it appears to be more and more
> moving to a place where codebases and projects can happily
> live for awhile. Other than removing the '-incubating' tag,
> what incentive is there for graduation?

I tend to agree. I think if the incubator focuses on tackling this
problem, everything else should fall out in the process - releases are
releases and if allowed, should be treated equally. As much as I
understand the points raised and recognise there is more Maven can do
to help, I don't think it's the core issue here. The incubator should
be concerned with communicating the status to the user at the point
when they decide to use the project - and the time when they are
typing that into a POM as a dependency is surely well past that point.

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter