incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Click for Incubation
Date Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:03:35 GMT

On Jul 18, 2008, at 8:59 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:

> There are no "project leads" at the ASF.  All committers who become
> a member
> of the PMC shall have an equal say in the project.  This can cause a
> great
> amount of friction when the project is perceived to be "owned" by a
> small
> subset of the pmc members.  Explosions within such projects happen
> at least
> once a year, sometimes for the better and often for the worse.
>
> I would have hoped that under Meritocracy, something about the
> transition
> from benevolent dictator to project management committee would be
> said.
> I would like to know, for example, if every committer will become a
> PPMC
> member, or if this is a PPMC of two (Malcolm and Bob).

While I agree with the general point, I should add, that "no project
leads" does not mean that you should add random people to the PMC,
just because they posted a few times on the mailing list or submitted
a trivial patch. "Meritocracy" means just that - give and elevate
karma of people who make the project happen. I thought it is important
to underscore this point, as there is often a fear of a project being
hijacked.

Andrus