incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Alan D. Cabrera" <>
Subject Re: SVN move
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2008 17:28:39 GMT

On Jul 28, 2008, at 8:14 AM, Les Hazlewood wrote:

>> Where I think that there is a problem is when they ditch their old
>> infrastructure and exclusively use ASF's infrastructure to build,  
>> maintain,
>> and release non-ASF releases.  To be sure in the case of JSecurity  
>> the final
>> artifacts will not use the ASF mirrors but that does not  hide the  
>> fact that
>> they intend to build and maintain non-ASF releases exclusively  
>> using our
>> infrastructure.
>> Craig says that's fine.
>> I think that they should release and maintain their new and earlier  
>> non-ASF
>> releases on the infrastructure that they currently have or else use  
>> ours and
>> follow the ASF/Incubator guidelines.
> If it turns out that it is *not* OK to do this (use ASF infrastructure
> exclusively to maintain our few remaining non-ASF releases), I'm  
> perfectly
> ok with that and of course would respect the Incubator's wishes -  
> but I
> myself would ask our current JSecurity team to delay the code import  
> into
> the ASF.
> I don't think I would be willing to perform code modifications and  
> patches
> for the next Release Candidate release(s) and maybe the few point  
> releases
> that might follow on two different repositories.  That's a nightmare  
> to
> maintain - "Did I apply this patch to project-from-server-A and
> project-from-server-B?  Hrm.. I can't remember if I JavaDoc'd that  
> method
> correctly in both locations...".  No thanks :)
> Sure, this might delay our incubation process another few weeks or  
> even a
> month or two, but I don't mind that at all - I feel comfortable that
> JSecurity will succeed at the ASF, so I don't feel a little extra  
> delay
> would hurt things for us much...  This is much less painful IMO than
> manually mantaining code in two separate locations.

Let's turn this around and look at it from a different light.  What's  
stopping us from doing a 0.9.0 release in the incubator?  I'm guessing  
that you need the packages to be the same?


To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message