incubator-general mailing list archives

From "David O'Hallaron" <d...@cs.cmu.edu>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Tashi
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2008 14:36:49 GMT
No worries. I've removed the entry on the wiki version of the proposal
at http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/TashiProposal. It now reads
simply:

Initially, there will be one committer each from Carnegie Mellon and
Intel Research:
 * Michael Stroucken (mxs@cmu.edu)
 * Michael Ryan (michael.p.ryan@intel.com)

Dave

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 8:36 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Doug Cutting wrote:
>>
>> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>>
>>> With respect to "Initially, we plan to start with one committer each from
>>> Carnegie Mellon and Intel Research, with a Yahoo committer to be
>>> determined
>>> later", that's awkwardly phrased.  It appears to imply a corporate
>>> representative doing commits for "hidden" people, something that we
>>> consider
>>> to be an anti-pattern.
>>
>> That is not the intent.  The intent is for Yahoo! to assign someone to
>> work on this project as a direct contributor.  But that person has not yet
>> been identified.
>>
>>> Whomever is to be actively involved in development
>>> should be on the committer list.  If it is just a community of just The
>>> Two
>>> Michaels, fine, but the wording should be rephrased.
>>
>> +1 If Y! does not name someone soon, then that entry should be removed.  A
>> committer from Y! can always be added later, based on merit.
>
> No; the entry should be removed now.
>
> Yahoo the Company cannot place a reservation on a place at the table for
> an unnamed body.  This is not how the ASF works.  Nor are committers
> expressed as delegates of the institutions the work for/study at.
> This places a cloud over the acceptance of this particular project, and
> I would encourage everyone to be sure their mentors/champions review the
> text before posting a proposal for incubation..
>
> Bill

-- David O'Hallaron
-- Director, Intel Research Pittsburgh
-- Assoc Prof of CS and ECE, Carnegie Mellon University
-- http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~droh