incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject [DISCUSS] Podlings with existing releases and community
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 17:42:14 GMT
Hi,

Many projects that come to Apache already have existing releases. Some
are still beta but others have already shipped a few production
versions.

This raises the issue of how to build on their existing communities
while they work on doing project management the Apache way, changing
package names, voting on releases, updating licenses, and documenting
provenance.

Most of what I've seen about how to do this is in the mentor guide:
"IP Clearance: Initial Clean Up; and On Repackaging". The focus here
is on cleaning up the code base. No mention of cutting non-Apache
releases from the import part of the repository.

I'd like to expand on this a bit. It's very difficult to manage two
code bases in two different repositories during a several-month (best
case) to years (worst case) incubation period.

I'd like to propose explicitly allowing existing communities to
continue to develop code in the "import" part of their repository
while they are cleaning up their IP, updating licenses, and changing
package names.

We can document that existing projects with communities may need to
have a few releases using the original package names during
incubation. While transitioning to releases the Apache way, a podling
can release code from the "import" part of their repository. These
releases are not incubator releases and do not need to be approved by
an Apache PMC.

Does anyone see issues with this, before I propose a patch to the
guides?

Thanks,

Craig

Craig L Russell