incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Do we really need an incubator?
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2008 13:53:23 GMT

On Jul 11, 2008, at 9:40 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
>> It's no surprise that Maven chomps at the bit quite a bit regarding
>> ASF policies, but values the "Apache brand" enough to tow the
>> line.
>
> Did you mean Maven as "Maven repo deployed @Apache" or "Maven the
> PMC"? As Noel was talking specifically about the PMC. We can
> certainly ban Maven repo use until better security, etc. is
> implemented, but I don't think ASF policies apply to the
> architecture decisions (good or bad) and development direction of
> any given project.

Quite simply, if Maven the PMC (or any PMC) or Maven the repo deployed
at the ASF (or any infra @ASF) is increasing the risks or
exposure of the ASF to security or other related concerns,
then we all should be concerned.

To be more clear: the Maven repo is a *huge* benefit to the
ASF and the entire community. Unless it is done "right", it also has
the potential of exposing the ASF to high risk. That is the
concern that Roy, Noel and Paul appeared to be noting and
one that I am also starting to listen to...