incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Tashi
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2008 22:12:10 GMT
On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 10:23 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Doug Cutting wrote:
>>
>> There's no conspiracy here to steal Apacheness.  Rather, Yahoo!, Intel and
>> CMU would like to collaborate on open source software.  Intel and CMU have a
>> prototype, and Yahoo! is interested in helping to develop this further.  All
>> three believe that other parties will also be interested in this software.
>>  Apache is a good home for collaborative, open-source software projects, no?
>
> Here's the gist of the issue, and your email highlights it perfectly.
>
> Yahoo!, Intel, CMU etc have no standing at the ASF.  The ASF does not
> recognize collaborative "corporate" development; the ASF recognizes
> collaborative development by physical persons, not other legal constructs
> or amalgamation.
>
> In other words, I'll vote -1 on any Proposal for non-person entities
> X, Y, and Z to form an incubator podling, and I know several other PMC
> members who will do likewise.
>
> This looks like a very interesting technology, and when proposed as a
> collaboration by actual persons A, B, and C (who happen to work for
> X, Y, and Z) we will have something to discuss.

I really don't see what the problem is here, there are two named
committers in the proposal. Whatever the interests of the companies
they work for, Tashi will have to create a healthy community to
graduate and I don't think corporate backing should be used as a
reason to deny entry in the first place. Also its a *good thing* IMO
that the proposal is open about the three companies that are prepared
to fund work and I would hate to see that rewarded with a -1, since it
may prompt others to be less open in the future.

Niall