incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Tashi
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2008 21:23:12 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:

> There's no conspiracy here to steal Apacheness.  Rather, Yahoo!, Intel
> and CMU would like to collaborate on open source software.  Intel and
> CMU have a prototype, and Yahoo! is interested in helping to develop
> this further.  All three believe that other parties will also be
> interested in this software.  Apache is a good home for collaborative,
> open-source software projects, no?

Here's the gist of the issue, and your email highlights it perfectly.

Yahoo!, Intel, CMU etc have no standing at the ASF.  The ASF does not
recognize collaborative "corporate" development; the ASF recognizes
collaborative development by physical persons, not other legal constructs
or amalgamation.

In other words, I'll vote -1 on any Proposal for non-person entities
X, Y, and Z to form an incubator podling, and I know several other PMC
members who will do likewise.

This looks like a very interesting technology, and when proposed as a
collaboration by actual persons A, B, and C (who happen to work for
X, Y, and Z) we will have something to discuss.