incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Tashi
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2008 00:36:01 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> With respect to "Initially, we plan to start with one committer each from
>> Carnegie Mellon and Intel Research, with a Yahoo committer to be
>> determined
>> later", that's awkwardly phrased.  It appears to imply a corporate
>> representative doing commits for "hidden" people, something that we
>> consider
>> to be an anti-pattern.
>
> That is not the intent.  The intent is for Yahoo! to assign someone to
> work on this project as a direct contributor.  But that person has not
> yet been identified.
>
>> Whomever is to be actively involved in development
>> should be on the committer list.  If it is just a community of just
>> The Two
>> Michaels, fine, but the wording should be rephrased.
>
> +1 If Y! does not name someone soon, then that entry should be removed.
>  A committer from Y! can always be added later, based on merit.

No; the entry should be removed now.

Yahoo the Company cannot place a reservation on a place at the table for
an unnamed body.  This is not how the ASF works.  Nor are committers
expressed as delegates of the institutions the work for/study at.
This places a cloud over the acceptance of this particular project, and
I would encourage everyone to be sure their mentors/champions review the
text before posting a proposal for incubation..

Bill