incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Click for Incubation
Date Sat, 19 Jul 2008 20:29:29 GMT
Malcolm Edgar wrote:

> I do take the point that there are no "project leads" in ASF and if
> Click were to go throught the incubator process and become a fully
> fledged ASF project that this would change. The project would follow
> the Apache mediocrity rules. I genuinely belive that this would be a
> good thing, long running projects need new ideas and new people to
> continue to move them forward.

Thanks for indicating that you are clear on this; I withdraw my -1
and throw a +1 for incubation.  Thanks for letting us know that you are
already aware of how this will affect the management of Click.

The edit to the proposal wasn't as strictly necessary, but that suggestion
is a pointer to other people reading general@.  So if their effort comes
from a similar project history with a strong 'leader', they can avoid these
discussions by making things clear early with their proposal document :)

> The brief summary of the project history in the proposal does make the
> community role look more shallow than it is. If you view the projects
> change history:
>
>    http://click.sourceforge.net/docs/roadmap-changes.html
>
> you can see the diversity of the contributions from community members
> made over the life of the project.

I never doubted that there is diversity in the project :)  My concern
was only in how the project was run and how the project would decide
what changes could go into Click when things were contentious, or maybe
didn't match your vision of how it should move forward.