incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Do we really need an incubator?
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2008 20:42:19 GMT
Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
>
>> However, the Maven repository situation has little to do with the need for
>> an Incubator.
>
> Obviously you choose to pick out everying Ron's writing about the
> flaws in Maven / the Maven repository while at the same time carefully
> ignoring everything he's writing about the "necessity" of a special
> incubator repository.

I think you need to reread Roy's post, which spelled out exactly why he
believes "There is no reason for a separate repository."

Noel isn't cherry picking, but your comment is flailing about without any
contribution to what that necessity actually is.

Folks seem to believe maven helps users make decisions about the individual
components they want.  It does no such thing.  It helps users decide to
use a particular top level package with all of its warts, wrinkles and
obscure dependencies, and *shields* the user from those details.  Having
a separate repository would actually run against the end user goals for
Maven.  If they inspect package dependencies, and see foo-incubating
rev 0.0.1 or higher in those dependencies, that's all we need to insure.
It's no different than encountering thirdparty bar rev 0.0.1 beta or higher.