incubator-general mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Do we really need an incubator?
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2008 18:20:34 GMT

Angela Cymbalak wrote:
> I think that I am in a unique position to comment on this question.  I
> am sure there are a lot of legal things and the Maven repository that
> can be pointed to as reasons why not to have an Incubator but I have
> been very pleased with the fact that Apache *does* have the Incubator.
> It has been incredibly helpful to me as I attempt to find the right
> people to show me the ropes at Apache.  Code releases aside, it appears
> that it is generally accepted that people and projects who are part of
> the incubator are either novices with Apache or those who are willing to
> help the novices.  Without that starting point, finding new people and
> projects could become limited.  There is a centralized place at Apache
> for those who are starting out, and without the incubator, it doesn't
> appear that Apache has that.

Thanks Angie, yes your perspective is very interesting, and I hope it's
already in line with what folks are thinking.

I think Davanum's subject line was mostly a rant w.r.t. the Maven issue
and not really a commentary on having an incubation process for podlings.
At least, I hope it was ;-)  The mixed results that came out of Jakarta
and others proved long ago that we needed /something/.  I think we are
awfully close right now, but it is (and always will be) based on the
then-current collection of volunteers and mentors.  Today we are doing
better than I had hoped :)

Bill