incubator-general mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: question re: Noel's idea for no rigid backend for photogallery
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2008 13:07:43 GMT
Angela Cymbalak schrieb:
> Sorry for the flood of emails this morning.   I answered my own
> questions.  Thinking abstractly before 8:45 AM hurts my head...
>
> I think the answer to the question should we provide a rigid backend
> structure or just an interface is a good question.  And I think that the
> answer is a qualified both.
>
> In order to correctly provide a rigid backend structure you have to
> write an interface to it.  When starting from scratch that interface can
> be anything.  If it is designed in such a  way to be flexible then
> releasing it is no big deal.  This is the perfect solution for a larger
> enterprise.  They normally already have a structure that they need your
> code to fit into, not the other way around.  However, just as Carsten
> has done with Sling, it wouldn't be unheard of to then write a complete
> implementation around your interfaces that has a more rigid storage
> structure.  This could then be released as a subproject.  It could
> either be an example or for those who need it, a fully functioning
> application.

Just my 2 cents on this issue: I don't know if its a good idea to
provide an interface
for the backend and allow to exchange the backend using this interface.

But while this seems to be appealing from a pure architectual point of
view, it has the drawback that this interface has to be defined
accordingly *and* implemented which might be a major task. So,
personally I would start simpler, e.g. with an existing api and impl
(like JCR) and then get feedback and experience if something more
abstract is required. This could be something for a 2.0 version :)

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org