incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Installers for couchdb
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2008 16:12:46 GMT

On Jul 9, 2008, at 9:37 AM, Philippe Ombredanne wrote:

> Howdy:
> I am working on couchdb installers that I would like to contribute
> back to
> the project:
> A fully functional CouchDb install has a few external dependencies
> such as:
> - ICU (ICU License a BSD/MIT style license)
> - Mozilla SpiderMonkey (MPL, GPL or LGPL)
> - Erlang (ERLANG PUBLIC LICENSE)
> - Openssl (OpenSSL license, a BSD style license)
>
> My understanding is that it would not be acceptable IP-clearance
> wise to
> have all (though some may be) those bits shipped as part of all-
> inclusive
> installers.

That's my understanding of the current consensus as well.

> My request:
> Would it be acceptable to create installers that would fetch at
> install time
> the required external bits from their original download locations?
> Those fetch operations would be clearly presented as external fetch
> operationsto the users.

I think the current operative policy is from http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html
:
	• For add-ons under excluded licenses, the PMC may provide a link/
reference on the product web site or within product documentation to
some other web site that hosts such add-ons (e.g. a SF.net project or
some third-party site dedicated to distributing add-ons for the Apache
product) as long as it is made clear to users that the host site is
not part of the Apache product nor endorsed by the ASF.
	• For add-ons under excluded licenses, the PMC may include a feature
within the product that allows the user to obtain third-party add-ons
if the feature also alerts the user of the associated license and
makes clear to users that the host site is not part of the Apache
product nor endorsed by the ASF.

So as long as your installer makes it clear to the user that the
external bits are not Apache-licensed, I read the policy as allowing
the CouchDb installer to fetch and install them and thereby make them
available to the CouchDb user.

Craig