incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Michael Stroucken" <mxs+apa...@cmu.edu>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Tashi
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2008 03:35:25 GMT
+apache@cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Tashi

Hi,

I've read the messages from Henning and William, and I'd like to address some of the concerns
voiced by them. I'm Michael Stroucken, and I'm a senior systems programmer at CMU. That means
I am staff, and my interests in the Tashi project are not driven by an interest to generate
research from the project (which is a plus of course).

One of my tasks here is providing computing facilities to students, researchers and affiliates
within the Parallel Data Laboratory. One of the facilities is a machine room designed from
the bottom up to allow research on data center operations - the Data Center Observatory mentioned
in the proposal.

When I was offered the opportunity to be part of this project, I gladly joined up because
I'm feeling the pain of needing a means of fairly and equitably providing for the computing
demands of our students, yet having average utilisation levels be rather low at the same time
people are desperate for machines.

I have not been assigned to any part of this project as an employee of the university, and
I am participating out of personal interest. I believe the project can improve services not
just at our data centers, but at data centers in general.

While this project is likely to result in research publications, at the end of the day my
rooms are still going to be there. For me, the fruits of the project will be a real asset
in a production environment, benefitting from continued input and improvement. I believe that
other adopters in industry or academia will regard it as such too.

Finally, as for the organisational vs. individual aspect, the project has large organisations
behind it which provide an environment of communication and cooperation that would be difficult
to replicate if we were just a few people at non-related and non-cooperating sites. I am aware
that our responsibility towards an Apache project is as individuals, but I hope we can convince
you that our corporate backing will be beneficial for the project.

Greetings,
Michael.