incubator-general mailing list archives

From Angela Cymbalak <a.cymba...@nechtan.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Do we really need an incubator?
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2008 17:41:05 GMT
I think that I am in a unique position to comment on this
question.  I am sure there are a lot of legal things and the Maven
repository that can be pointed to as reasons why not to have an
Incubator but I have been very pleased with the fact that Apache
*does* have the Incubator.  It has been incredibly helpful to me as I
attempt to find the right people to show me the ropes at
Apache.  Code releases aside, it appears that it is generally
accepted that people and projects who are part of the incubator are
either novices with Apache or those who are willing to help the
novices.  Without that starting point, finding new people and
projects could become limited.  There is a centralized place at
Apache for those who are starting out, and without the incubator, it
doesn't appear that Apache has that.

I agree that people may be using projects that are part if the
incubator and not realizing that it doesn't have the same level of
support that the TLPs have.  I also agree that a naming convention
may solve part of that problem.  You might also see if you have
modify the Apache License a little so that in first few lines of an
incubator project the license file clearly states that a project is
in incubation and therefore has additional risks to it.

Angie