incubator-general mailing list archives

From Angela Cymbalak <a.cymba...@nechtan.org>
Subject Re: question re: Noel's idea for no rigid backend for photogallery
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2008 13:00:05 GMT
Sorry for the flood of emails this morning.   I answered my own
questions.  Thinking abstractly before 8:45 AM hurts my head...

I think the answer to the question should we provide a rigid backend
structure or just an interface is a good question.  And I think that
the answer is a qualified both.

In order to correctly provide a rigid backend structure you have to
write an interface to it.  When starting from scratch that interface
can be anything.  If it is designed in such a  way to be flexible
then releasing it is no big deal.  This is the perfect solution for a
larger enterprise.  They normally already have a structure that they
need your code to fit into, not the other way around.  However, just
as Carsten has done with Sling, it wouldn't be unheard of to then
write a complete implementation around your interfaces that has a
more rigid storage  structure.  This could then be released as a
subproject.  It could either be an example or for those who need it,
a fully functioning application.

Angie