incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Ryan, Michael P" <michael.p.r...@intel.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Tashi
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:11:23 GMT
Hello,

I've also been closely following the messages exchanged about the Tashi project proposal and
I too, like Michael Stroucken, would like to respond to them.

I'm the other initial committer listed on the project proposal, Michael Ryan.  I am a software
engineer at Intel and I have my own motivations for working on Tashi, as well as the blessing
of my employer.

Some of the pieces of software I write at Intel (scientific apps, performance studies, hardware
simulations, etc.) are used on a cluster we have built at our site in Pittsburgh.  Since we
are a small site, I have ended up doing much of the cluster management myself.  Part of this
management has included rolling our own cluster management software that uses a bunch PXE
boot options, a database, and a bunch of poorly written scripts.  As the cluster has grown,
however, it has turned into a true multi-user cluster and I am consistently surprised at the
new and unique ways users find to break things in the cluster.  For me, this project is about
finding a way to manage this resource.  It's about taking our current ad-hoc cluster management
to the next level by involving others with similar problems/interests.

It is true that many of the other names listed on the proposal are researchers and are looking
to get research publications out of this.  However, the two initial committers have a vested
interest in seeing a functional and maintained piece of software that will be useful for them.
 In all honesty, I'd like to see Tashi working so that I can spend less time being a cluster
admin and more time being a software engineer.

- Michael Ryan