incubator-general mailing list archives

From Henning Schmiedehausen <henn...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Tashi
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2008 08:14:23 GMT
On Thu, 2008-07-24 at 19:22 -0400, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:
>

> > XEN e.g. is GPLv2 licensed and you can not host any code at Apache that
> > needs to be linked with XEN.
>
> Now that raises an interesting question ... if we define our own vendor
> neutral, Apache licensed, interface definition, are we allowed to host the
> source for our own implementation of it that is intended to support a GPL
> licensed work?  I have my view on that, but it is an interesting issue.

That question has IMHO already been answered, as we host the reference
implementations to various JSRs for which other-licensed implementations
exist. So yes, we can host this, if we define the layer or have the
layer definition under Apache license.

To be clear: I don't want to be a road block here, I just like to have
these questions discussed before incubation begins; nothing is worse
than having Tashi in incubation for a few months, having them started a
community at Apache and then finding out that there are showstoppers
that makes it impossible to continue here. Better get this resolved
before we start.

	Ciao
		Henning