incubator-general mailing list archives

From Santiago Gala <sg...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Installers for couchdb
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2008 17:21:24 GMT
El mié, 09-07-2008 a las 12:41 -0400, James Carman escribió:
> Doesn't requiring a library with an excluded license pretty much throw
> the apache license part out the window?  Are these optional
> dependencies?  Will couchdb run at all without them?

The way I see it Erlang can be considered a "platform" dependency, much
like java. i.e., no java Apache project runs without java, and java is
not even Open Source. Trying to bundle it in unmodified form for an
installer brings issues, but no more issues than installing a java
runtime does, for instance.

http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html is the document listing current
policies for dealing with third party licenses.

The rest of the dependencies look safe (MIT or BSD'ish should fall into
A), though I have not looked into the details.

spidermonkey is the only component that has a more restrictive license,
and the third party licensing policy document lists MPL in the B
category. So I think we can choose MPL and distribute it in binary form,
etc.

If you forward this request to legal-discuss@ you can get a detailed
review of the different licenses.

Regards
Santiagp

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Jul 9, 2008, at 9:37 AM, Philippe Ombredanne wrote:
> >
> >> Howdy:
> >> I am working on couchdb installers that I would like to contribute back to
> >> the project:
> >> A fully functional CouchDb install has a few external dependencies such
> >> as:
> >> - ICU (ICU License a BSD/MIT style license)
> >> - Mozilla SpiderMonkey (MPL, GPL or LGPL)
> >> - Erlang (ERLANG PUBLIC LICENSE)
> >> - Openssl (OpenSSL license, a BSD style license)
> >>
> >> My understanding is that it would not be acceptable IP-clearance wise to
> >> have all (though some may be) those bits shipped as part of all-inclusive
> >> installers.
> >
> > That's my understanding of the current consensus as well.
> >>

> >> My request:
> >> Would it be acceptable to create installers that would fetch at install
> >> time
> >> the required external bits from their original download locations?
> >> Those fetch operations would be clearly presented as external fetch
> >> operationsto the users.
> >
> > I think the current operative policy is from
> > http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html:
> >        • For add-ons under excluded licenses, the PMC may provide a
> > link/reference on the product web site or within product documentation to
> > some other web site that hosts such add-ons (e.g. a SF.net project or some
> > third-party site dedicated to distributing add-ons for the Apache product)
> > as long as it is made clear to users that the host site is not part of the
> > Apache product nor endorsed by the ASF.
> >        • For add-ons under excluded licenses, the PMC may include a feature
> > within the product that allows the user to obtain third-party add-ons if the
> > feature also alerts the user of the associated license and makes clear to
> > users that the host site is not part of the Apache product nor endorsed by
> > the ASF.
> >
> > So as long as your installer makes it clear to the user that the external
> > bits are not Apache-licensed, I read the policy as allowing the CouchDb
> > installer to fetch and install them and thereby make them available to the
> > CouchDb user.
> >
> > Craig
> >>
> >> Cordially
> >>

> >> --