incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: SVN move
Date Sat, 26 Jul 2008 17:18:58 GMT

On Jul 26, 2008, at 2:47 AM, Martijn Dashorst wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Can you provide one example?  Just curious....
>>
>> While it was incubating, Wicket did a few non-ASF releases on their
>> old project site, to minimize disruption for their existing users
>> while they were repackaging and cleaning up for an ASF release.
>
> And even after we had graduated. Wicket 1.2.7 (the final maintenance
> release for the 1.2 branch) was created in last March. We didn't use
> the Apache mirroring system and put a disclaimer in it that the
> release was non-Apache. [1]

I haven't been following the Wicket history too closely.   I assume
that this branch is in the ASF Subversion repository.

So is it safe to say that the Wicket 1.2 branch is a pre-incubation
branch?  What changes were made with regards to ASF/Incubator policy?
I'm wondering if this branch stayed the same, e.g. old package names,
or were there changes made to this branch to bring it in line with ASF
policies.

> This is a service we provide for our users that were with us before we
> moved to apache and are counting on us to provide support on their
> production systems. However, since we are a volunteer effort with
> limited resources, we have discontinued to support the 1.2 branch
> (though we will act on security issues) and now focus on Apache
> software :).
>
>> I haven't followed all of this discussion, but IIUC that's a
>> similar situation.
>
> Yep, and it really is a problem IMO when incoming *open source*
> projects have to ditch their collected history. If we care about code
> provenance, having the full history available is best.

Keeping the history to maintain code provenance is one thing, and a
good thing.  Maintaining and making non-ASF releases on ASF
infrastructure is another.  It seems that the latter has been done
before, e.g. Wicket.  Are their any guidelines for doing this?

Regards,
Alan