incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Philippe Ombredanne" <pombreda...@nexb.com>
Subject RE: Installers for couchdb
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2008 18:15:05 GMT
Craig wrote:
> So as long as your installer makes it clear to the user that the  
> external bits are not Apache-licensed, I read the policy as allowing  
> the CouchDb installer to fetch and install them and thereby 
> make them  available to the CouchDb user.
Thanks for the pointer .
This makes sense... and that is the intent exactly.



-- 
Cheers
Philippe

philippe ombredanne | 1 650 799 0949 | pombredanne at nexb.com 
nexB - Open by Design (tm) - http://www.nexb.com 
http://easyeclipse.org - http://phpeclipse.net - http://eclipse.org/atf - 
http://eclipse.org/vep - http://labs.jboss.org/drools/ -
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/XULRunner


> -----Original Message-----
> From: Craig.Russell@Sun.COM [mailto:Craig.Russell@Sun.COM] 
> Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 8:13 AM
> To: general@incubator.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Installers for couchdb
> 
> 
> 
> On Jul 9, 2008, at 9:37 AM, Philippe Ombredanne wrote:
> 
> > Howdy:
> > I am working on couchdb installers that I would like to contribute  
> > back to
> > the project:
> > A fully functional CouchDb install has a few external dependencies  
> > such as:
> > - ICU (ICU License a BSD/MIT style license)
> > - Mozilla SpiderMonkey (MPL, GPL or LGPL)
> > - Erlang (ERLANG PUBLIC LICENSE)
> > - Openssl (OpenSSL license, a BSD style license)
> >
> > My understanding is that it would not be acceptable IP-clearance  
> > wise to
> > have all (though some may be) those bits shipped as part of all- 
> > inclusive
> > installers.
> 
> That's my understanding of the current consensus as well.
> >
> >
> > My request:
> > Would it be acceptable to create installers that would fetch at  
> > install time
> > the required external bits from their original download locations?
> > Those fetch operations would be clearly presented as external fetch
> > operationsto the users.
> 
> I think the current operative policy is from 
> http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html 
> :
> 	. For add-ons under excluded licenses, the PMC may 
> provide a link/ 
> reference on the product web site or within product documentation to  
> some other web site that hosts such add-ons (e.g. a SF.net 
> project or  
> some third-party site dedicated to distributing add-ons for 
> the Apache  
> product) as long as it is made clear to users that the host site is  
> not part of the Apache product nor endorsed by the ASF.
> 	. For add-ons under excluded licenses, the PMC may 
> include a feature  
> within the product that allows the user to obtain third-party 
> add-ons  
> if the feature also alerts the user of the associated license and  
> makes clear to users that the host site is not part of the Apache  
> product nor endorsed by the ASF.
> 
> So as long as your installer makes it clear to the user that the  
> external bits are not Apache-licensed, I read the policy as allowing  
> the CouchDb installer to fetch and install them and thereby 
> make them  
> available to the CouchDb user.
> 
> Craig
> >
> > Cordially
> >
> >
> > -- 
> > Cheers
> > Philippe
> >
> > philippe ombredanne | 1 650 799 0949 | pombredanne at nexb.com
> > nexB - Open by Design (tm) - http://www.nexb.com
> > http://easyeclipse.org - http://phpeclipse.net - 
> http://eclipse.org/atf 
> >  -
> > http://eclipse.org/vep - http://labs.jboss.org/drools/ -
> > http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/XULRunner
> >
> >
> > 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
> > For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org
> >
> 
> Craig L Russell
> Architect, Sun Java Enterprise System http://java.sun.com/products/jdo
> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!
> 
> 


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message