incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Request for assistance in incubating an Alchemy project
Date Sun, 22 Jun 2008 08:05:45 GMT
On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 12:12 AM, Jihoon Kim <jihoonkim1004@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...I wasn't quite sure whether there weren't
> interest in the project or simply that it has been missed. Now that I
> know there isn't any interest, I will consider moving the project to
> an another repository....

That's probably the best thing to do at this point, and if you're able
to build a small community there that might be a first step towards
incubating at the ASF.

IMO, and in general, the Incubator is much more welcoming to projects
which already have some sort of community, as opposed to
single-developer projects trying to build communities.

-Bertrand

> [...]
>>> additional Web 2.0 technologies as JSF component libraries. First set
>>> of component libraries to include within this project is the bridge
>>> between Flex and JSF, as can be seen within the following JIRA link
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TOMAHAWK-1250.
>>>
>>> Initially, I thought to contribute it as a patch to MyFaces, but since
>>> the size of the contribution was rather large and I was the sole
>>> developer, MyFaces PMCs have directed me to the Incubator to incubate
>>> it as component library under Alchemy project. Then when the project
>>> has matured and have gathered enough community members to sustain the
>>> maintenance of the code, they said they would consider having it as a
>>> subproject under the MyFaces main project.
>>>
>>> In a nutshell, the contribution is to give users capability in
>>> creating Flex components as JSF components. So users users would
>>> create the components as normal JSF components and the contribution
>>> will create the necessary SWF files and etcetera and link the values
>>> of the components back to the managed beans using JSON+JavaScript and
>>> ActionScript. So all users would need is a Jar of the component
>>> library and they would be able to create Flex applications by creating
>>> normal JSF components. The contribution will then bind the data from
>>> managed beans to components within the created SWF file.
>>>
>>> Further detail regarding the project has been written up within the
>>> following proposal :
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MyFacesAlchemyProposal.
>>>
>>> Current members who are interested in participating in this project are :
>>>    myself [Jihoon Kim]
>>>    Hazem Saleh [committer within MyFaces]
>>>    Glauco P. Gomes [developer within MyFaces]
>>>    Matthias Wessendorf [who has suggested in helping out as a
>>> mentor/champion]
>>>    my coworkers
>>>
>>> I think that this integration will be an interesting one that users
>>> can use to create Web 2.0 applications beyond the method of
>>> JavaScript. Also since I think that this is one of the areas that has
>>> lots of potential, I think with time there will be additional
>>> components/ideas related to the contribution that will be brought
>>> forth [i.e. possible handling of requirement of flash in user's
>>> browsers {rendering it as a Dojo, HTML, or Flash depending on user's
>>> browser setting}].
>>>
>>> During the discussion of this contribution within the MyFaces mailing
>>> list, many have shown positive interest in the project providing good
>>> sign that the components libraries will be used by developer
>>> community. Also the integration will possibly reduce number of
>>> discussion in various mailing list of "JSF vs Flex" and will allow
>>> developers to create simple Flex application without purchasing
>>> FlexBuilder and learning of the technology.
>>>
>>> MyFaces PMCs have confirmed that there aren't any legal issues for the
>>> Flex and JSF integration by pinging the legal mailing list.

 Bertrand Delacretaz
 http://www.codeconsult.ch