incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: enforced signing of artifacts, [was maven repository]
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2008 18:39:47 GMT
On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 7:29 PM, William A. Rowe, Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>
>> Gilles Scokart wrote:
>>
>>> Noel J. Bergman:

>> Incubator

>>>       --- Noel
>>
>>> Is that really possible?
>>
>> Very.
>
> Why is it not equally possible to validate against a short list of keys
> (e.g. infra PMC members) and their immediate trust.  This is what gpg is
> good at.

the short answer is not quite (trust models are too different). my
conclusion was that meta-data signed by a short list of keys in the
WoT would be good enough.

>>> I remember some discussion on the infra list about an ASF wide signature.
>>> And the conclusion was always the same: how to secure a key that can be
>>> used by so many people.  If I remember well, some solution were proposed,
>>> but they were quiet heavy.  Do we have a solution for that?

there's no need to distribute a master key

>> There are various things that can be done with respect to key management.

key management is tricky

>> Personally, I would not go with a single key.  But maven ought to maintain
>> trust file, with options to accept files that are signed with a trusted
>> key,
>> or signed by a key that is signed by a trusted key, etc.

this is where the complexity lies. IIRC it was quite tough to come up
with a user friendly trust model that worked correctly.

>>  The first thing
>> that has to happen is for the Maven PMC to make security a priority.
>
> As far as signing jars, microsoft authenticode etc, Noel and I planned to
> create such a service (although we've both been really busy in the past few
> months).  But it will always require that the artifacts are already signed
> by someone in the ASF's web-of-trust via pgp.

we don't actually require that the artifacts are signed: just
meta-data about the artifacts

- robert