incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: INCUBATOR-57 aka IPMC votes to ratify PPMC committers
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2008 17:00:27 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > Henri Yandell wrote:
>>> I very much like the idea of the PPMC -> Incubator PMC relationship
>>> modeling the board whenever possible.
>> Keeping in mind that the PPMC has no actual standing, so the vote still
>> requires the standard 3 +1 and more +1 than -1 from PMC members.  Which
is
>> why we always encourage podlings to have at least 3 Mentors.

> I disagree.  I'm fine with a PPMC voting to add a new committer as
> long as the mentor(s) has approved it.

We may be arguing solely over a misunderstanding in communication.

The single fundamental governing policy accross all ASF projects is that the
PMC collectively makes all decisions.  The Incubator-specific construct
known as the PPMC has no standing.  We can rename the thing if the acronym
is too hard for people to keep straight, but PPMC != PMC.  Yes we agree that
the the PPMC is encouraged to participate, but the only binding votes on the
PPMC are those cast by PMC members.

> if at least one member of the Incubator PMC is executing direct oversight
> and the rest of the Incubator PMC has the opportunity to execute
oversight,
> then I'm satisfied.  Enforcing 3 mentors is just damn silly, IMO.

I am not talking about enforcing 3 mentors.  I simply said that HAVING them
makes it easier to get the REQUIRED 3 votes from PMC members.  Nothing more,
nothing less.

	--- Noel