incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] 72-hour lazy consensus for podling committer + PPMC member votes (was: INCUBATOR-57 aka IPMC votes...)
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:40:43 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> I'd like to ask for a vote on Justin's proposal below

There is the missing nuance that must be addressed (see below), but with that fixed, I'm +1.

> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 10:29 PM, Justin Erenkrantz
> > Currently on http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html, we have:
> > ---
> > Vote on the podling's private (PPMC) list, with notice posted to the
> > Incubator private list. The notice is a separate email forwarding the
> > vote email with a cover statement that this vote is underway on the
> > podling's private list. Many consider this approach to be best
> > practice. After completing the vote on the PPMC list, the proposer
> > calls a vote on the Incubator PMC private list, summarizing the
> > discussion and vote, with a reference to the archived discussion and
> > vote threads by the PPMC.

> > I'd like to make the suggestion that we alter this to:
> > ---
> > Vote on the podling's private (PPMC) list, with notice posted to the
> > Incubator private list. The notice is a separate email forwarding the
> > vote email with a cover statement that this vote is underway on the
> > podling's private list. Many consider this approach to be best
> > practice. After completing the vote on the PPMC list, the proposer
> > *sends a note to* the Incubator PMC private list, summarizing the
> > discussion and vote, with a reference to the archived discussion and
> > vote threads by the PPMC.  *Any member of the Incubator PMC can ACK
> > the receipt of the vote.  This starts a 72-hour window for lazy
> > consensus.  After 72 hours and no requests by any Incubator PMC member
> > for a full vote by the Incubator PMC, the committer request is
> > approved by the Incubator PMC and the PPMC can start the committer
> > invitation process.*

As has been noted, the text of Justin's proposal fails to address that if the vote fails to
gain the required binding votes, it is NOT lazy consensus.  The standard rules still apply,
and the PMC vote would be required to supplement the vote, not just a lazy ratification.

Proposed change to Justin's text would be "After 72 hours and no requests by any Incubator
PMC member for a full vote by the Incubator PMC, and if the vote is positive (three or more
binding +1 votes and no binding -1 votes), the committer request is approved by the Incubator
PMC and the PPMC can start the committer invitation process."

	--- Noel